Who doesn’t love fresh, hot pancakes on a weekend morning? The smell of buttery deliciousness fills your nose and the delicate sizzling delights your ears. Everyone is always a little bit happier after a good old pancake breakfast. Despite all their yumminess and all their nostalgia value, there is a downside.
A breakfast of just two pancakes, butter and syrup can add up to about 500 calories and 90 grams of carbs. NINE-ZERO. Pancakes can be time consuming, recipes often yield a zillion portions and no one needs all those simple carbohydrates in the morning! Oh and not to mention gluten and pancakes being bffls. I sought a solution to all of those problems, because let’s face it… pancakes are rad and we should be able to eat them on all days ending in -y.
SO without further ado, I present you with a single serving, delicious pancake recipe that is chock full of nutrients, healthy fat and fibre. At ~250 calories for the ENTIRE recipe (yes, you may eat the whole thing) these bad boys will fill you up.
Single-Serve Oatmeal Pancakes
- 3 tablespoons Almond Flour
- 3 tablespoons Oat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites (sub applesauce/oil for vegan version)
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (sub any other milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 packet of stevia (equals about 2 teaspoons of sweetener)
- Light spray of oil for cooking
- Combine all dry ingredients, mix very well with a fork or sift together.
- Whisk egg whites until fluffy, add stevia/other sweetener, then fold in milk and vanilla
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet ingredients. Stir until JUST combined.
- Cook in a preheated non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides.
Round out the meal with 1/2 a banana and a tbsp of almond butter. There you have it, in under ten minutes you have yourself a healthy and delicious breakfast. Enjoy!
Question of the Day:
What are your favorite foods to have in/on pancakes?
Chocolate chip pancakes are a BIG weakness of mine. I could eat a mountain of them, with more chocolate than batter…topped with whipped cream and banana’s… and Nutella… and maybe some shredded coconut. Great, I’ll probably dream of unhealthy pancakes tonight!