I have one word for you today:
Mmmm…. Okay I lied, I have a few more words than that.
The first time I had a cookie after going gluten-free, I nearly cried tears of joy (and ended up eating 6 instead of dinner.) Definitely not the healthiest of things, cookies are a snack food staple for many of us… and I certainly did not want to be without them!
I believe everyone can enjoy healthy and nutrient packed treats that taste just as good as the real thing! These unique cookies get their rich moistness from a secret ingredient….
QUINOA! Quinoa is this gluten-free girl’s best friend, I enjoy it almost everyday. High in fibre, protein and over a dozen essential nutrients, quinoa is THE superfood to beat. I was elated to take on the challenge of incorporating it into a dessert. Behold, my Pumpskinny Cookies, a guilt free fall treat with whole grains and nothing artificial.
Pumpskinny Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes 30 cookies)
- 1 cup oat flour (grind oats in a blender until fine, measure after blending)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves)
- 1/2 cup softened coconut oil (can sub butter/oil)
- 3/4 cup pureed pumpkin (NOT pie filling)
- 1/4 cup sucanat/brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave
- 2 beaten eggs (sub 2 tbsp flax meal mixed in 1/2 c. warm water for vegan version)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- A handful of g-free chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand is great)
- Sift together dry ingredients (or whisk well with a fork)
- In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil, pumpkin and brown sugar together
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, stir until JUST combined
- Fold in quinoa and chocolate chips until well blended
- Bake at 350 for 14-17 minutes depending on cookie size
*Tip: store them in the fridge or freezer to keep fresh for longer. They also taste amaaaaaazing warmed up in the microwave!
Question of the day:
What is your all time favorite kind of cookie?
I am a big fan of peanut butter M&M cookies, but my favorite cookie of all time would have to be imperial. (Maybe I’ll give those a g-free makeover next!)